• Resolved archeffect

(@archeffect)

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to help out.

I am currently going crazy over here trying to figure out a solution to an ‘500 Internal Server Error Message’ I keep getting when trying to access my files – after doing a fresh install. Here is what is going on:

I am installing the latest version of WordPress 3.3.2 manually (via FTP)
    1. I created a database with cPanel, etc.
    2. Added a user to the DB and created a Password
    3. Inputed all this info into ‘wp-config.php’ file such as:
    -DB Name
    -DB User
    -DB Password

4. Uploaded everything to subdirectory (www.mydomain.com/wordpress/)

When I try to access the /wordpress/wp-admin/install.php to get the show on the road, I receive this error:

“500 Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@moaci.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at moaci.com Port 80″

I contacted the hosting company and they mentioned they are capable of supporting WordPress. Just for the record, here are the versions:

PHP version 5.3.2
    MySQL version 5.1.62-cll

Any help would be super duper appreciated. I have attempted to install and re-install about 5 times now, just to end up in the same place.

Mucho thanks,
    Lilliana (archeffect)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

Error 500 ISE is very generic and can be caused by numerous underlying issues.

-Your first step should be locating error log for your hosting account or asking support to help with that.
    – It may indicate .htaccess issue. Regenerate .htaccess, and be sure the encoding in your text editor is Unicode No BOM
    – It may also indicate a problem with the configuration on the server. Usually your hosting company tech support can help.
    – it could be problem with the plugins. try resetting the plugins folder by FTP or phpMyAdmin.
    – it could be a problem with the theme. Momentarily, try switching to the default twentyeleven theme via FTP by renaming the your current theme to rule out any theme specific issue.
    – if these steps don’t help, download WordPress again and replace your copies of everything EXCEPT the wp-config.php file and the /wp-content/ directory with fresh copies. This should replace your core files without changing your content and settings in wp-config.php file and the /wp-content/ directory.

Thread Starter archeffect

(@archeffect)

@t-p thanks for your response. I have searched through the forums in hopes of finding a solution, but noting gives. Now for your suggestions:

ERROR LOG
    I have located the error log for the hosting acct. It has a list of the last 300 errors logged. Here are a few of the listed errors:

[error] [client IP.xxx] File does not exist: /home/machone/public_html/404.shtml
    [error] [client IP.xxx] File does not exist: /home/machone/public_html/cpnael
    [error] [client IP.xxx] File does not exist: /home/machone/public_html/404.shtml
    [error] [client IP.xxx] File does not exist: /home/machone/public_html/robots.txt

…and so on – But there seems to be nothing referring to .htaccess file

2- .HTACCESS
    I currently do not see a .htaccess file in the wordpress files to upload. I have currently downloaded another “fresh” copy to assure I have all files – should I create a .htaccess file?

3-SERVER
    server configuration, what exactly should I be looking or asking for? Is there particular settings I should modify to?

4- PLUGINS
    I currently have no plugins other than those already in the wordpress install files. This is a ‘new’ -or- ‘fresh’ wordpress install using cPanel.

5-THEME
    I do not have a theme installed, again just default wordpress files at the moment (new wordpress install)

6- I have tried once more to upload everything “fresh”, configuring my ‘wp-config.php’ with the Database settings….same error!

Yikes!!! I really need some help over here…

-L

did you check with your host if the domain name is configured properly to point to public_html folder

(@archeffect)

Good morning govpatel, thanks for your comment & suggestion.

Currently there is a live website on the domain (www.moaci.com) so it is definitely pointing to the public_html folder.

The crazy thing is, I can see the WP files I have uploaded to the public_html folder too, but when I try finalizing the install:

Step 5: Run the Install Script

I try to open http://moaci.com/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php
    and get the ERROR.

Any other ideas? Thanks again,
    L

check permissions for your wordpress folder and files they normally are folders 755 and files 644

(@archeffect)

I have double-checked all permissions and they are all correct.
    WP-Folders = 755
    WP-Loose Files = 644.

🙁

Is that wordpress folder in public_html and has the permission of 755

(@archeffect)

My wordpress folder is in public_html and has 755 permissions.

I am loosing my mind over this one…

I changed servers and tried to move my wordpress blog to the new host.
    When I contacted the new host (Bluehost) they said some files were missing.
    Since I couldn’t access my old cpanel i re-installed wordpress and had to put up a few new posts. I need help to get my old posts and comments from mysql database.

(@archeffect)

Hello WP Community~
    RE: my initial problem,

“500 Internal Server Error when Installing via FTP”

, I never did find a solution for this.

After trying several suggestions posted here and in other forums, the problem seemed never ending. I ended up switching the website into the host company I use for all my other sites. I was trying to keep it simple and use the host provider my client already had financially invested with…but when it wasn’t working, there was no such thing as simple anymore 🙂

@nabenj: I am not sure how old posts and comments are retrieved, but maybe this will help:

(@archeffect)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Internal Server Error when Installing via FTP’ is closed to new replies.